Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

"One Bourbon, One Scotch, & One Beer"


Just to prove it ain't always fishing, last night we were invited by up-the-river friends Rich & Helen to join them in the VIP box at Ram's Head Live in Baltimore to see George Thorogood. Thorogood and his hard-rocking bar band the Destroyers were on top of the charts when I was in high school. I'd forgotten how many of their songs I knew. Inspired by a text message from Daniel, I timed my drink order, Jack Daniel on the rocks, McCallan straight up, and Fordam Lager, to arrive at the moment he kicked off one his best known songs. Thorogood has some age on him, but the show was still entertaining and I had a big smile on my face throughout. Thanks for the memories.

And just in case anyone gets the wrong idea about my pasttime priorities, I fished Thursday evening with Rick Long out of Solomons, MD. Rick has made a name for himself in the fishing world by inventing The Fish Off Glove. It's a velcro, plastic, and rubber combo that makes removing lures from fish much easier. We gave the gloves a good workout, catching over 60 rockfish and blues up to 5 pounds on top-water plugs. We saw spanish mackeral jumping among the breakers, but couldn't catch them. The water is extremely clear and very salty that far down in the Bay. I'd like to fish there more often.