Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bay Fishing Update

I'm getting grief for not updating the fishing reports, so here are a few of the recent highlights. The top-water bite at the east side of the Bay Bridge has continued into mid-August. I've yet to get anything close to the 40" monster Daniel pulled out of there, but we've caught some in the 28-30 inch range. Here's a shot of Dianne with some fish she caught recently. These two fish, 20 & 21", were caught at the same time on a Heddon Super Spook, one on the front hook, one on the back! She got a 24" fish that evening as well.

I've switched from using the classic Heddon top-water lures to a locally made plug by the Stillwater bait company called the "Smack-It." I prefer the bigger model which goes nearly 6 inches long including the feather tipped back hook. It floats high and chugs hard, so I can really rip it through the water. My choice for jigging remains a gold stringsilver, but I'm also using my home-made rockfish bombs which have been producing some pretty nice fish.

Crockett is getting better at finding fish. I started getting him excited when I got on fish last fall, and really urging him on in the breaking fish this summer. He's just now getting to where he'll go on point when he senses fish. He's good down to about 20 feet, but he's not picking them up much deeper. Still, I expect he'll be more effective than my fish finder soon! Here's a shot of him in his classic fish pointing pose & another of his "no fish around" look.