Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Making a rockfish jig

I'm way behind in my blogging, but I'll try to get caught up in the next couple of days. I recently learned that it's relatively easy to make rockfish jigs using an in-line lead sinker. Since trolling is very popular on the Bay, all the tackle stores sell them. Even though I'm not much for tying flies, I have carved a few top water plugs back in the day, so I know how satisfying it is to make your own baits. This afternoon I stopped by Anglers Bait & Tackle on Rt 50 and picked up some one and two ounce in-line sinkers. Anglers sells them for 25 cents an ounce. I also got some Mustad hooks, split rings, powdered lure paint, and stick on eyes. I checked in my old bass box and found some Colorado blades and crappie jigs. Here's my experiment:

1. Arrange supplies on wife's copy of Sunday's New York Times.

2. Heat sinker with butane lighter.

3. Dip in charturse paint powder (available at Bass Pro and many bait shops).

4. Atttach hook with split ring.

5. Add accesories. I got a little carried away and included stick-on eyes, a Colorado blade, and crappie jig for hook dressing.

6. Admire finished product.

7. Drop in Bay, catch fish.

Okay, so it's not a very big fish, but I swear he hit it on the first cast. It was a tough bite tonight. Water levels in the upper Bay are still very low and there's virtually no current. I managed 4 fish in about 90 minutes fishing the outgoing from 7:00 until 8:30 PM. The biggest was barely 18 inches. By the time the water started moving the light was nearly gone. I missed a lot more bites. In review, I need to revisit my hook dressing as those crappie jigs slide off the hook too easily. I used a 3/0 hook which may be too small. The Colorado blades are purty, but didn't make any difference in the bite and increased instances of the hook tangling with the line. Nevertheless, I have to say the experiment is a success since I only had about a buck a piece and less than 10 minutes invested in each lure, and by-gawd, they work. In the future I will look for gold and silver paint, and I'll experiment with different types of in-line sinkers. I'll keep you posted on how they work out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home