Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Deadliest Catch - Chesapeake!

Despite the risk of falling into 4 feet of churning 74 degree water, I donned my protective clothing and stepped up to the edge of the dock to haul in the traps. A lesser man might have used mechanical assistance, but I toughed up the crab traps with raw muscle power. No guts, no glory, and my rewards were great. Maryland Jimmies are going for about 60 bucks a dozen right now. I caught 14 the first day I dropped the traps. I also managed to land this nice Jumbo softshell which, when dressed and fried, could make one manly man-sized sandwich. Softshell crabs are classified by some interesting names. From small to largest they are Mediums, Hotels, Primes, Jumbos, and Whales. Tonight, I may take the risk of dropping my deadly catch into a red hot kettle of steaming Natty Boh laced with Old Bay. It's a Dirty Job, but someone has to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home