Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Arrival of the White Perch

The water temperature in the Magothy reached 70 degrees this week. The white perch have finally moved in. They aren't in force yet, but there are a few to be caught off the dock. These fiestly little panfish hang out in the deep water of the Bay in mid-winter, but move into the upper reaches of the rivers in early spring to spawn. They eventually make their way back down the rivers, where they hang out around dropoffs and docks. There seems to be thousands of them, and they're relatively easy to catch once they come in good.

On a different subject, still smarting from getting my butt kicked on the relatively unsuccesful flounder expedition, I took off Thursday afternoon to drive up the the Susquahanna Flats to look for spawning rockfish. It's a nice area, but I didn't catch many fish. Here's my TF report:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Decided on the spur of the moment to haul my little EldoCraft up to Havre de Grace Wednesday evening. It was my first time in the area, so I drove around for a while before finding the boat ramp below the railroad bridge. Loaded the dog and a cooler of natty headed bohs, opened the throttle, and ran about 20 feet before nailing a big log. Decided to slow down and be more carefull. I had my handheld Garmin but decided to rely mostly on my hillbilly radar. Saw a couple of boats off to the left of the channel about a mile going out so headed over that way. Pulled into about 3 ft of very clear water and saw baitfish scatter so started casting an opening night BA. Wham, right away a little 16 incher. Thinks to myself, this is gonna be fun. Casted another hour and didn't get another bite! Looked around to see the dog chewing the rubber top off the GPS. Argh! Finally got it working again by inserting a cable tie into the on/off switch, and decided to explore.

The 50HP short shaft only draws about 12 inches, so decided to head straight across. Was surpised at the sandy bottom. Found some big algae plumes in 4 ft and started walking a redheaded SuperSpook. I was suprised again when a little largemouth grabbed ahold and held on until he got to the side of the boat. I think he just wanted a ride. I gave up and tied on a spoon to troll on across, sometimes just 18" deep, to where I saw about a dozen boats on the lower east side. Water was muddier here. Lots of people casting, but nobody catching. I foul hooked a couple of shad on the BA. A big explosion over near the point caused me to nearly piss myself. Noticed many more boats down that way so hit the starter. Dead battery! Charger showed "go fishing" before I left. Not much time to swith to the trolling motor battey, so decided just to wrap a chord around the flywheel. Whirred on the first pull. Many fishermen when I got there, and FF showed lots of bait and a few fish. Crockett went on point right away and started barking, so I thought things were going to get good. Alas, zilcho on the BA. Current was very strong and pulled me past a buoy. Decided to run back up and noticed the buoy said "catch & release line." Oops! I fished until sunset, didn't see anyone else catch anything, then decided switch back to topwater. I got one blowup between then and dark, that was it. So not counting the little largemouth, my first fish was the only one (unless you count the foulhooked baitfish, which I often do!) Seemed like the perfect evening. Still and calm as can be, but the Flats kicked my hillbillly butt last night..... I probably won't drive back tonight so maybe next year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home