Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

They're still biting!


I've made a couple more trips to the Bay Bridge rockpile. Can't say that it's every cast, but there are some good fish hanging in there. Here's my report today:

I got out in time to catch the end of the outgoing this afternoon. Tide was ripping when I arrived at the bridge, it looked like class III rapids swirling past the rock pile. Got a good strike on my first drift, then hooked up on the next three. Fish were in the 17-20 inch range. Mostly keeper size but nothing to sell the farm over. I thought I was gonna tear 'em up, but it slowed down for a while, then picked back up a little as the tide waned. Actually, I think the fish were always there, they were just holding on a spot the size of a truck bed and it was nearly impossible to hit it consistently in that kind of current. Once again, I hooked and lost way too many fish. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, this is something that just started - lost all the heavy fish I hooked. I ended up with thirteen, the biggest about 22". They all went back. I met a fellow TFer from Chestertown, and saw my friends in the coast guard. This time they just waved. Either my boat is a police magnet, or they're racially profiling hillbillys, because last night I got checked twice by two different DNR officers in 5 minutes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home