Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Big Fish at the Bay Bridge

Friday, I got back out to the Bay Bridge to try some of the things we learned last weekend. The bite was red hot. The best lure was a gold stringsilver with the treble hook removed and replaced with a chartruse feather-dressed single hook. I bounced it off the bottom on the current side of the rockpiles. I caught 6 or 8 fish including a 23" & 24". I had a lot to do yesterday, but still found a two hour window to fish. I was wondering if it was worth it because it was fairly windy and the Bay was crowded with pleasure boats. I fought four foot waves near Sandy Point Light but was pleased to find no other boats on my fishing spot. The first drop produced a nice 24" fish. A few minutes later I hooked into this fat 28 incher. He tested out my 12lb test line pretty good, but I had the drag set loose and just let him run until he was tired. I ended up with about 10 fish in those two hours, all but one were over 18". I was so excited to be on big fish that were biting so welll that my hands were shaking and I could hardly feel my lures. The action was so hot at one time that I got crapped on by a seagull, but waited through two more hookups before I wiped it off! I'm going to wait until the weekenders get off the water, then go back after them this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home