Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What I've Learned & Some Resolutions

Continuing in the series, the onset of a New Year brings me to reflections of our first 365 days on the Chesapeake Bay. I think I've accomplished my goal of immersing myself as much as possible in the culture of the region. From the house on the water to the many hours spent on the Bay (Over 120 hours in the boat!), from visiting Civil War battlefields to enjoying the pagentry of our nation's capitol, even down to the food we eat and our selection of the Bay's own breed as our puppy pet, we've nearly covered the bases. But there's still much to learn and I think I'm just now starting to get past the suburban shells to uncover the real pearls of Chesapeake living. In addition to some personal & professional goals, here are some resolutions for 2007:

1. To get involved in conservation efforts. The Bay has, and will surely continue to give us a lot. But there are very big problems. It's time to start giving back.

2. To meet more people, make new friends. I've made some friends and found some people I really like. But I really need to get out and mingle more. I'll start by attending some of the local fishing club meetings. That should also help get me started in conservation.

3. To revisit and reevaluate my music interests. I'm not doing the band justice because I'm not promoting. I need to get a product together that I can really get behind and push. Part of the reason is that I need to better understand the local culture before I can really be a part of it as a musician. To me, music must demonstrate a sense of place, otherwise it's just dull and generic. When I really find myself here, that should be reflected naturally. I haven't been at all impressed by the local acoustic music community. I've always heard it was very good here, but while there are some amazing musicians and a couple of "A" list bands, the rest I'd put in the category of "C" list groups. To be complete, a music scene has to include "B" bands. These are ensembles made up of professional or semi-pro musicians who don't necessarily tour, but push the envelope of innovation and provide influence for better-known artists. In other words, a band needs to be part of the evolution, not a mimic of the status quo. That's where I want to go and what I'll work toward this year.

I'll keep you posted! -S

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ralph lauren pas cher, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louboutin shoes, longchamp, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, air jordan pas cher, replica watches, nike outlet, nike air max, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, air max, jordan shoes, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors, nike free, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, ugg boots, chanel handbags, uggs on sale, nike roshe run, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, longchamp outlet, louboutin outlet, prada outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugg pas cher, doudoune canada goose, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, swarovski crystal, canada goose, ugg boots uk, moncler, bottes ugg, wedding dresses, juicy couture outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler, toms shoes, louis vuitton, replica watches, thomas sabo, coach outlet, canada goose, moncler, supra shoes, marc jacobs, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose, hollister, swarovski, moncler outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, karen millen, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, links of london, moncler

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home