Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Southward HO

I've mentioned before how I've learned a lot of what I know about fishing the Bay from a group of fishermen on a mailing list called "Tidal Fish." One of the things I like about the Chesapeake Angler section of the TF board is that many of the people who post there are my neighbors. Yesterday I met and went fishing with a some of the guys I've been talking to through the mailing list. Occasionally someone on the list will post a message seeking "HOs" for an upcoming fishing trip. HO stands for "hand onboard," or at least that's what they tell us newbies. As a HO one is expected to chip in on gas and other expenses, and share the work of preparing the boat, loading gear, etc. When one of the guys who I've come to respect as a good fisherman posted a message seeking HOs for an all-day Sunday trip, I jumped at the opportunity. We fished way down south in the Bay, putting the boat in at the mouth of the Potomac River and trolling the area between there and the Rappahannock River. It was one of the nicest January days on record with temps in the high 60s and calm winds. We fished from daylight 'till dark but only had a couple of hours of hot action. That was enough however to give me my biggest fish yet since moving to the Chesapeake, a beautiful 36' migratory fish caught on a chartruse umbrella rig. I'll let the pictures tell the story. All our fish went right back into the water so maybe we'll catch them again when they're even bigger! -S