Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What I've learned....

About living in the Mid-Atlantic. I've been here nearly a year now, so I thought it might be fun to post some random observations about our corner of Southern Maryland. Of course, these are all generalizations and based solely on my own experience. I don't mean them to be negative or insulting. In fact, I really like it here and have no regrets about moving. I'm still learning and I expect to think of more as we pass through the Holidays, so I'm sure more observations will follow:

1. You can't buy beer at gas stations! In Tennessee, it's not surprising to see a big stack of 12 packs beside the Pilot Station checkout, and a barrel of iced-down tall boys by the door. In Maryland, they don't even sell it in grocery stores. It's a liquor store with limited hours, or nothing.

2. Fishermen are friendlier than musicians! I've found hardly any of the camaraderie and sense of community here that so comfortably characterized the East Tennessee acoustic music scene. I really miss WDVX and all the good things the Knoxville station does for musicians. On the other hand, I've yet to meet an unfriendly Chesapeake fisherman, and several complete strangers have given me outstanding advice and personal assistance. You don't see that near as much in the Southeast where fishing secrets are carefully guarded. My best friends here enjoy both fishing and making music.

3. Get in the turn lane early, and speed up! People will actually cut over into the breakdown lane just so they can beat you to the exit ramp and cut you off. I've never experienced that anywhere else before. Add to that that there are way more cars than there are roads to hold them here, along with a sense of entitlement to the left lane, and you have a recipe for driving misery. The traffic-jams of Knoxville's "Malfunction-Junction" pale in comparison. A 1 hour drive to work here is considered an "easy commute," and a turn-signal is sometimes seen as a sign of weakness!

4. Don't get above yer raisin'! At first, I tried my best to blend in with the faster, less personal lifestyle. When I quit that nonsense and resumed my hillbilly sensibilities, life got easier and I started getting along with people much better. Not too many people who live here are from here, but when I meet a native Marylander, I usually like them.

5. Most good-ideas work anywhere! I've found that especially true with fishing. My tried-and-true fishing techniques, most handed-down by my father, have resulted in lots of fish in the freezer this year. I've also adopted many local techniques, adding the occasional Tennessee twist where appropriate. In fishing, so in life. (See #4 above.)

6. Marylanders know how to eat seafood. Simply put, the best crabcakes anywhere, and at almost any local restaurant. I wouldn't dream of ordering a crabcake in Tennessee now. Steamed crabs and Yuengling at a dockside crab-shack may be the finest eating experience in the world. The sushi rivals that of the West Coast or Hawaii. Also, Old Bay generally makes *everything* taste better.

7. There are many funny place-names! I guess that's true anywhere, but "Pohick Hollow" and "Assawoman Bay," are two names that crack me up every time I hear them!

8. Everything costs more! From food to taxes, hardware to fishing tackle, and especially housing, it's just expensive to live here. The house we lived in back in Tennessee would probably cost a million bucks here. That's not an exaggeration. There's no such thing as a $150,000 house in Southern Maryland (a respectable residence in Tennessee). Don't expect to eat out anywhere for less than 30 bucks. The excuse is usually, "salaries are higher here." Don't bet on it.

9. There are still lots of fun free things! For me, that means the Bay. In the summer, I can bring up a hundred bucks worth of seafood nearly anytime I want. (That doesn't mean I haven't spent way too much on tackle and gear!) Also, the museums on the Washington Mall are all free. There are free concerts there, free movies, the monuments are great, and most of the cultural events don't cost a dime.

10. Many good things come from the Eastern Shore! That's the part of Maryland between the Chesapeake and the Atlantic. There's a different attitude there. It's way more relaxed and laid-back. You can feel it as soon as you cross the Bay Bridge. It reminds me more of South Georgia than anywhere. I like it there.

More to come...... -S