Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Acres of Rockfish

After the Seattle weekend we had to wrap up some business in Tennessee. It was a lot of fun hanging out with the kids. I spent some time down on the strip before the LSU football game and even worked in some brief time with friends. This week I've had time to do a little fishing, getting out a little before dark both Thursday and Friday evenings. Thursday, I caught fish trolling up above Baltimore Light. I've noticed that I sometimes inadvertently call the lighthouses "silos" because they remind me of fishing around silos in the TVA lakes. I found some big underwater humps there that are holding fish. Someone told me the area is called "Snake Reef," which is appropriate considering the winding shape of the submerged structure. Friday, I cruised around a while before finding lots of birds working the area out from Love Point. Beneath them were acres and acres of breaking rockfish. Most of them were small, in the 8 to 10 inch range. I bet there were 10,000 fish breaking which makes me think the future of fishing in the Bay is bright. I fished by jigging a Gotcha Lure at first, but switched to my topwater plug and fly combo and caught bigger ones. When I first switched, I made 17 casts before I *didn't* catch a fish! The weather has changed this weekend, so I don't expect much fishing. -S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home