Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Top Water Action!

Someone told me a while back that at times, rockfishing in the Chesapeake Bay is very similar to fresh-water bass fishing. I've found that to be true in some regards, primarily in that they relate to underwater humps and structure. But most of my keeper fish this year have come from more traditional striper techniques like trolling, jigging, and casting to breakers. That is, until last night. It had been a very breezy day, but the wind laid a couple of hours before dark. With still water, overcast skies, and a big cold front moving in, I decided to put some of my fresh-water tactics to work. I tied on an old faithful Heddon Lucky 13 and started drifting down a bank near our house. It was a little tough casting off the bow sprit of the Sea Ray, and I was sure wishing for a trolling motor, but it felt very comfortable chugging along that classic old top-water lure. Still, I wasn't really expecting much action. The first blow-up scared the crap out of me! A big fish exploding on a surface lure is one of the most exciting experiences in fishing. He measured 24". I got 5 more before the rain started. It's illegal to cull rockfish on the Bay, and the limit is only 2, so I ended up keeping two smaller ones. A lucky break with all the right conditions, but I still idled home in the rain thinking that maybe I've turned a corner on fall fishing here. -Shawn