Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Gull Cam

Or maybe the title of this posting should be "Gull Clam." I mentioned in an earlier blog that I swept off the dock periodically because the seagulls would leave clam shells there. Today, I learned how the process works. I've gathered that tides are generally lower when the wind is out of the West like it is today. The resulting shallow water allows this gull to dive for clams around our dock. After he snatches one off the bottom, he flies into the wind, hovering over the dock and dropping it dead center onto the widest part. He usually has to drop it two or three times before the clam's shell breaks enough to allow him to eat it. I was lucky enough to catch the entire process on camera a few minutes ago. I should mention that this is the only gull I've noticed diving for clams and that he (or she) is slightly larger than most gulls I've seen. Maybe a different species? Double click the picture for a closer view. -S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home