Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Diving Duck

The first time I visited our house I noticed this little guy. He's usually within site of our dock, but hasn't been close enough to get a good picture. Every time I see him he's hard at work, usually swimming and diving into the wind and staying submerged for 30 seconds or more. Yesterday as I was getting ready for work, I glanced out and noticed him a little closer in than usual. I was surprised to see that he had a friend. I grabbed the camera and got a few pictures. A little research today and I've identified him as a Bufflehead, a type of sea duck. Sure enough, the darker one is a female. I'm not sure if they'll stay here year-round, or leave when the weather breaks. According to the article I read, diving ducks have recently made a comeback in the Bay after years of steady decline. I found a map that showed the Bufflehead's range stretching into Tennessee, but I don't ever remember seeing them on the lake. Here's a link to a site with more information about them. I've nicknamed this little duck "Hiccups" because he reminds me of some words in an 19th century blues tune called "Drunkard's Hiccups." I borrowed a little of the lyric when I wrote this line in, "Corn Mash Whiskey Blues."

If the river was corn whiskey and I was a diving-down duck
If the river was corn whiskey and I was a down-diving duck
I'd dive down to the bottom and drink my way back up

-Shawn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home