Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Sea Ray

Yesterday, my right arm was really sore. I think I have "fisherman's elbow." I tried to talk myself out of fishing last night, thinking I needed some recovery time and especially since it looked like there could be storms later. I packed the cooler and was idling through the mouth of the Magothy at 6:30 PM. By 8:00 I had hooked up 4 Rockfish and managed to get two in the boat trolling three rods - deep running lures below 3/4 oz bucktails (flies). First fish was about 22 inches and had sores all over it. I've never seen a fish in such bad shape. I was surprised that he was still feeding and hanging with the school. It was a bad omen. The sky was starting to look a little threatening, but there was still some light left and a few other boats around, so I decided to make one last pass.

Just as I was about to troll across the shelf at Pohickory Point, I hooked up again. Right away I realized this was the heaviest fish I've ever felt. I hooked him on my lightest rig with 14lb test line. Thirty minutes later, I was still fighting even though it was now obvious that there was a hellacious storm coming. Unable to gain line in what was now a very strong wind, I had to back the boat into the building waves. They crashed over the transom causing a continuous heavy spray. Deep down, I knew it was a ray, but I was still holding out hope for that world record Rockfish, or well, anything else! With rain now falling, I knew I should turn loose, especially with lightning cracking all around. I just couldn't!

Even though I fished commercially for a couple of years down in Tennessee and caught some huge catfish, I hadn't felt anything this big before. I never yelled and hollered so continuously and loudly with no one around to hear! Forgetting to pay attention, I got too close to Sandy Pt Light, only realizing it when both my other reels started screaming, hopelessly hung up in the traps. I yelled even louder while slicing through both lines with one whack of my filet knife.

I'm not sure who really won the battle. I did in fact get the winged beast to the side of the boat, but there was no hope of getting him over in the blinding wind and rain. I got a real good look at him before cutting the line. He looked to me to be about as wide as an F-150 hood. The dash back home was one to remember. With 50 mph gusts coming straight down the Bay, my little Sea Ray 250 Express was really bouncing, but the wide open big block Merc and Bravo 3 outdrive really scoots and kept me on top of the waves until the bimini blew off right between first two channel markers at the mouth of the Magothy. I wrestled it into the boat and managed to turn back into the teeth of the storm. It was dark now, but Dianne had turned on our string of white deck lights, so I could more easily find the house. She saw me coming and came out on the dock, but there was no hope of tying up in the storm. I turned back and headed for my neighbor Bret's more sheltered dock inside Lake Placid.

Finally making it inside the house, I was soaked, sore, a little scared, and still pumping with adrenalin. I learned a few lessons last night, realize I did some dumb stuff, but dern, I never felt so alive! I've also never been more determined never to do anything like that again! -S

5 Comments:

Blogger Wicketywack said...

Wow, that was an excellent story---very well written. I'm so glad I found your blog and I'll definitely be back.

I'm a sailor and fisherman whose boat is docked in Mayo, MD at the end of Rhode River.

I got caught in a storm in 2003 and it was terrifying. What made it worse was that one of the crew I had onboard jumped overboard at the height of the craziness. I had to call DNR police on him and we thought he could be dead for about 3 hours. Luckily, he survived, but I haven't spoken to him since then; I still hold it against him. The best thing I've found to do is keep VHF 16 on when isolated storms are predicted. Coast Guard usually calls a sécurité warning long before you're in the middle of the wind and waves, giving you plenty of time to get to safety.

I've heard the cow nosed rays are out of control this year. Are they hitting on any bottom baits? Blood worms, squid, etc? I'm more of a croaker fisherman, but I heard they haven't been running too much in the mid Bay region. Have you had any luck with them?

9:14 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Thanks, Lonnie. We hooked one ray recently off the dock while bottom fishing, but I think it was a snag on the way in. All the ones I've seen have been foul hooked - sort of speaks to how many there are around. Hard to believe some idiot would jump overboard in the middle of a storm. I agree, you wouldn't want him around too much. Thanks for the advice about VHF16 and also thanks for your entertaining blogs. Had a good time reading them today.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

longchamp, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike free, prada handbags, sac longchamp, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors, replica watches, burberry, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, air max, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, uggs on sale, chanel handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, nike roshe run, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, ralph lauren pas cher

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chi flat iron, vans shoes, louboutin, babyliss, iphone cases, birkin bag, oakley, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, converse, p90x workout, valentino shoes, timberland boots, hollister, north face outlet, asics running shoes, new balance, herve leger, insanity workout, bottega veneta, ray ban, soccer shoes, north face outlet, nike trainers, nike roshe, nike air max, lululemon, hollister, beats by dre, instyler, nike air max, vans, abercrombie and fitch, wedding dresses, mcm handbags, hollister, baseball bats, longchamp, nfl jerseys, celine handbags, ralph lauren, ghd, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo shoes, soccer jerseys, mont blanc, lancel, gucci

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, replica watches, canada goose uk, marc jacobs, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, links of london, canada goose, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, swarovski, wedding dresses, ugg boots uk, moncler, karen millen, swarovski crystal, supra shoes, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet, toms shoes

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home