Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Friday, June 09, 2006

To Catch A Fish

Caught my first Chesapeake Bay Rockfish yesterday. A picking buddy, Dave Wolf invited me along on Captain Brian Sutton's "Debra Christine" out of Chesapeake Beach, MD. Dave had chartered the trip for people he works with, and graciously invited me to join the party. We fished from 5:00 until about 10:00pm starting out trolling with umbrella rigs for Rockfish, then bottom fishing with shrimp and crab for Croakers. I hooked up 3 Rockfish and landed one, then caught another 6 or 7 Hardheads. The final count was 2 keeper rockfish and 29 Croakers. Brian said that wasn't an especially productive evening, but I was happy to see some fish with respectable size! Dave plays multiple instruments and sings, and also shares a lot of my musical tastes. Also joining the excursion was Mike Garris who fronts a popular local jamgrass band. Mike picked with Del McCoury for several years, so we know a lot of the same people. I enjoyed talking to to them and others aboard about music and fishing. I also learned a lot about techniques and places to fish in the Mid-Bay area and had a great time! -S