Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Another Guest Bedroom?

I haven't caught any fish all week. I've tried spinners, flies, even cut up shad, but no luck. I'm not sure if it's just a slow time or bad luck. I've seen a lot of people trolling for Rockfish out on the Bay. Maybe I'll try that this week sometime. I put the boat in Friday night and brought it around to our dock. I plugged in the shore power and turned on the deck an cabin lights, then threw out a line and sat on the back bench seat with a cold Yeungling. Dianne fired up the grill and we had dinner on the boat. The boat will make a great extra bedroom for guests who might be brave enough to sleep aboard this summer. After dinner, our neighbors across the street invited us over so we sat around in their yard and talked until 1:00 AM when it started to rain. Today dawned beautiful, but a little chilly at first. I got up to check on the boat about 7:30 and was suprised to see some sort off swimming race going by. There looked to be about 20 swimmers and they were moving pretty good through the cold water. I spent the early part of the day cleaning up the boat cabin, then installing some permanent dock bumpers. Even on calm days like today we get a lot of boat wakes, so it's important to cushion possible impact areas around the dock. We went out for a while, watching some sort of sailboat parade out on the channel, then exploring a secluded little cove about a mile downstream. Tonight we found a great little water-front seafood restaurant and bar which is easily accessable by boat. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, but it's very calm now so I left the boat tied up out front. I've been looking over some charts and planning a weekend trip to St. Michaels. Most of our upcoming weekends are pretty busy though, so I'm not sure when we'll find time for our first over-nighter. Speaking of weekends, we're hosting a party the Saturday before Memorial Day. If you're reading this, you're invited! I'll say more about it in a few days. -S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home