Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

How Not To Fish.....

I caught fish today. White Perch. About half-a-dozen or so, all about 8 inches. I may never again though if I have to use the same method. I kept thinking about something my friend Curt suggested a while back: "I wonder what would happen if you just threw a redworm out on the bottom." So I thought, what the hell, it's worth a try. The first challenge was to find worms. I know from my backyard landscaping that the ground is very rocky and not good for finding earth worms. So I drove to a nearby bait shop and asked for redworms. "You mean bloodworms?" the clerk asked. Seeing that there were no redworms on the bait list, I thought this must be the closest thing around, so I bought a dozen. "That'll be ten dollars and fifty six cents," the clerk said. Considering I'd just paid three dollars a gallon for gas, and a hundred bucks for a pallet of rocks, I cursed the local cost-of-living, swallowed hard, and coughed up the cash. The guy handed me a plastic bag full of grass and sure enough, something that looked like redworms.

Here's where I should say that I really don't like fishing with live bait. To me fishing should be clean and stress free. So, I wasn't looking forward to baiting the worms anyway. Even worse, these worms looked like they had thousands of tiny little legs. Nevertheless, for the sake of science, I picked one up and started to slide it on the hook. That's when it happened. I've never seen anything like it. That worm transformed it's normal looking redworm-like head into the face of a fanged multi-mouthed monster and latched on to my finger. Fortunately, it bit into a guitar callous so I didn't feel it, but that didn't stop me from screaming like a girl as I shook it off into the Bay. I started to throw them all away, but remembering they cost nearly a buck each, I found some gloves and managed to get one of the bleeding little monsters on my hook. Sure enough, that worm had barely settled on the bottom when, wham, a hard bite. I set the hook into the first White Perch I've ever caught. They look very much like what we call "Stripe" in Tennessee and run about the same size, maybe a little smaller. I used up the rest of my worms, but resolved to figure out how to catch them on artificial bait from now on. Otherwise, they can stay in the Bay! -S

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

It sounds pretty horrifying! Please don't take Tarren fishing when we come to visit. I don't think his heart could take such a nasty worm!

See you soon,
Anna

2:40 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Kinda figured you'd like that one, Curt. I was pretty glad you weren't around to see it. Anna, we might go fishing when you come (we're excited!) but we sure won't be using *THAT* kind of bait! -S

6:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

chi flat iron, vans shoes, louboutin, babyliss, iphone cases, birkin bag, oakley, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, converse, p90x workout, valentino shoes, timberland boots, hollister, north face outlet, asics running shoes, new balance, herve leger, insanity workout, bottega veneta, ray ban, soccer shoes, north face outlet, nike trainers, nike roshe, nike air max, lululemon, hollister, beats by dre, instyler, nike air max, vans, abercrombie and fitch, wedding dresses, mcm handbags, hollister, baseball bats, longchamp, nfl jerseys, celine handbags, ralph lauren, ghd, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo shoes, soccer jerseys, mont blanc, lancel, gucci

8:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, replica watches, canada goose uk, marc jacobs, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, links of london, canada goose, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, swarovski, wedding dresses, ugg boots uk, moncler, karen millen, swarovski crystal, supra shoes, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet, toms shoes

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home