Adventures in the Chesapeake

From the hills of Eastern Tennessee to the mouth of the Magothy River, a narrative about learning to live in the Upper Chesapeake Bay.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chesapeake Bay Near Annapolis, Maryland, United States

Born and raised in East Tennessee, a bluegrass musician and sleep medicine professional who is starting new chapters of adventure on the upper western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Midnight Moonlight


And the ocean is howling
For the things that might have been
And the next good morning's sunrise will be
The brightest you've ever seen
-Peter Rowen from "Midnight Moonlight"

There's plenty of howling out on the Bay tonight. With gusts over 45 miles per hour, the sustained wind speed is higher than I've experienced since I saw a couple of tropical storms when I was stationed in Hawaii. I went out to the dock earlier but thought better of walking out for fear of being blown off. The waves were washing over it and also crashing against the rocks around the yard so that the spray blew on to the front deck and windows. The water here is almost 100% fresh, so I don't know if I'll need to wash the windows tomorrow or not. The weather tonight is a big contrast to last night's calm and full moon. Dianne shot some pictures. I thought the one above captured the eerie sky and light reflection better than any. The perspective is looking out toward the Gibson Island Light House from our front porch. You can see our jetty and a navigation buoy illuminated by the moonlight. -S